web statistics

« Home | URBAN HUNG SUITE? » | Confessions of A Deconstructing Diva » | Mismedication of Lauryn Hill » | Deconstructing Diva » | Booty Call To Boyfriend » | Back To The Middle » | My Soul Is Riddled With Holes » | I Cannot Live Without Books » | Golden Parachutes » | I Wish Music Could Adopt Me! » 

E-mail this post



Remember me (?)



All personal information that you provide here will be governed by the Privacy Policy of Blogger.com. More...

Wednesday, June 15, 2005 

Independent of What?

Watching independent films is sort of a hobby of mine. I love discovering these gems when they are done well. I know that you don’t need a huge budget or good catering for a movie to be good. Sometimes you just need your talent, a major credit card, and some friends. At the same time, being an indie film should still be about sending messages, and it certainly should be thought provoking, and maybe even address issues that larger studios don’t want to touch. Now having said all of that, I have to tell you about the annoyance I felt watching a indie film that had a diverse cast, but not in the good way.

I will preface this rant with a disclaimer;I truly don’t have a problem watching films that feature inter-racial couples IF the storyline is believable. What I can not stand is when a script totally misses the mark and goes so far beyond reality, it becomes a mockery of itself.

The film in question is SKIN DEEP. Now if you plan on seeing it in the future, you will need to stop reading here because I may ruin it for you, but my guess is, you will want to watch it anyway. When I was watching it, I could not turn it off, sort of like it’s so bad I have to see HOW bad it gets type of fascination.

Now Skin Deep stars Mailon Rivera a very sexy man! He had me drooling at the first scene, just damn!

I will refer to Mailon’s character as Bitch Ass because that is exactly how he acted the entire film. So Bitch Ass is screwing his neighbor, yes as in, next door neighbor, played by Debra Wilson. The same Debra Wilson from Madtv fame.



Now I am not opposed to comics doing dramatic roles, but she really sucked in this role with her over-acting, and wtf was up with her voice? She sounded like Eartha Kitt on crack!

Anyway, Debra will be Psycho Chick. Psycho chick and Bitch Ass are finishing up there little tryst and he is putting his clothes on telling her that this is the end of the road for him and her. Psycho chick doesn’t like the sound of this, and you can see what little sanity she had evaporate and she gets that glassy, deranged look in her eyes. She says fine, I don’t need ya!

So Bitch Ass walks his nasty self next door to his blonde hair, blue-eyed wifey who for all intent purposes is really clueless in this film. How ya man gonna be next door banging the neighbor and you are in the bathtub oblivious? He comes in and after he takes a shower (he wasn't getting too close for her to smell coose juice on him) and he tries to get a quickie in before their friends arrive for dinner. She declines him, he gets angry and complains about it being too long since they last made love. (as if he didn’t just get satisfied a few minutes ago). He says he loves her so much and he just wants to express it to her, blah blah. Whatever!

Now already I am annoyed that this brutha is cheating, then he is cheating with a neighbor, who is a psychotic black woman, then he WALKS his nasty ass home to his white wife. WTF? So the sista is a psychotic piece of ass and he goes home to the white woman who doesn’t please him? (rolling eyes).....you got to be kidding me.

So friends show up before they get busy. AJ Johnson aka FREAKY WIFE, is playing the wife (from House Party and Baby Boy fame,) and her husband being played by ANOTHER comedian, who SUCKS in this entire film. He is ANGRY BLACK MAN , so of course he baits Oblivious in to a debate about race relations. He got on MY damn nerves because the points he was trying to make were lost in translation, buried in his bravado and ignorance. This scene could have been a redeeming part of the film but it fell way way short of having substance.

So after Bitch Ass takes up for his wife, the the fellas go to another room in the house to talk, leaving Oblivious and Freaky Wife alone. Freaky Wife starts stroking on Oblivious, rubbing her back, all up in her face, and this Oblivious chick is well, totally oblivious to what she is doing until Freak wife tries to slip her the tongue. (You can not be this dumb, I know you are blonde, but damn, isn’t that a stereotype?)

The fellas are discussing ANGRY BLACK MAN’s recent business deal that went south and how he is hard up for cash. He knows that when FREAKY WIFE finds out that he lost their money, she will flip, and leave him. So BITCH ASS implies that he could get money if he smoked his wife for the insurance money (which he claims was just a joke).

Now what happens next is just a series of ridiculous events. In summary, the 4 of them end up in a hot tub where Freaky Wife and ANGRY BLACK MAN start messing around and she even goes underwater to give him a blow job (ok that part was educational). Oblivious is disgusted and hops out and Bitch Ass follows her to console her and explain that his friends are just wild like that (YRB).

Somehow Freaky Wife ends up floating face down in the hot tub, but this time, there is nothing in her mouth but water because her ass is dead.

The remaining 3 blame each other and the body count grows. By the end of the film BITCH ASS has no wife, no friend, and no lover. The film could have been written better, it could have given some insight into some heavy issues, but it went for perpetuating stereotypes and going for the twisted plot with no explanation as to why the characters did what they did. *shaking my head*.

This is why we can't rise as a people! (Said like X). Contributing to the worst stereotypes when you have a chance to have a voice that can be positive. This was directed by Sacha Parisot, which despite what the name may imply, is a male. Hmph! Shocking right?

I just think indie films have a chance to tell stories that need to be told and I get annoyed when I see one that had the potential to be so good, turn out SO bad.


« Home | URBAN HUNG SUITE? » | Confessions of A Deconstructing Diva » | Mismedication of Lauryn Hill » | Deconstructing Diva » | Booty Call To Boyfriend » | Back To The Middle » | My Soul Is Riddled With Holes » | I Cannot Live Without Books » | Golden Parachutes » | I Wish Music Could Adopt Me! »

Wednesday, June 15, 2005

Independent of What?

Watching independent films is sort of a hobby of mine. I love discovering these gems when they are done well. I know that you don’t need a huge budget or good catering for a movie to be good. Sometimes you just need your talent, a major credit card, and some friends. At the same time, being an indie film should still be about sending messages, and it certainly should be thought provoking, and maybe even address issues that larger studios don’t want to touch. Now having said all of that, I have to tell you about the annoyance I felt watching a indie film that had a diverse cast, but not in the good way.

I will preface this rant with a disclaimer;I truly don’t have a problem watching films that feature inter-racial couples IF the storyline is believable. What I can not stand is when a script totally misses the mark and goes so far beyond reality, it becomes a mockery of itself.

The film in question is SKIN DEEP. Now if you plan on seeing it in the future, you will need to stop reading here because I may ruin it for you, but my guess is, you will want to watch it anyway. When I was watching it, I could not turn it off, sort of like it’s so bad I have to see HOW bad it gets type of fascination.

Now Skin Deep stars Mailon Rivera a very sexy man! He had me drooling at the first scene, just damn!

I will refer to Mailon’s character as Bitch Ass because that is exactly how he acted the entire film. So Bitch Ass is screwing his neighbor, yes as in, next door neighbor, played by Debra Wilson. The same Debra Wilson from Madtv fame.



Now I am not opposed to comics doing dramatic roles, but she really sucked in this role with her over-acting, and wtf was up with her voice? She sounded like Eartha Kitt on crack!

Anyway, Debra will be Psycho Chick. Psycho chick and Bitch Ass are finishing up there little tryst and he is putting his clothes on telling her that this is the end of the road for him and her. Psycho chick doesn’t like the sound of this, and you can see what little sanity she had evaporate and she gets that glassy, deranged look in her eyes. She says fine, I don’t need ya!

So Bitch Ass walks his nasty self next door to his blonde hair, blue-eyed wifey who for all intent purposes is really clueless in this film. How ya man gonna be next door banging the neighbor and you are in the bathtub oblivious? He comes in and after he takes a shower (he wasn't getting too close for her to smell coose juice on him) and he tries to get a quickie in before their friends arrive for dinner. She declines him, he gets angry and complains about it being too long since they last made love. (as if he didn’t just get satisfied a few minutes ago). He says he loves her so much and he just wants to express it to her, blah blah. Whatever!

Now already I am annoyed that this brutha is cheating, then he is cheating with a neighbor, who is a psychotic black woman, then he WALKS his nasty ass home to his white wife. WTF? So the sista is a psychotic piece of ass and he goes home to the white woman who doesn’t please him? (rolling eyes).....you got to be kidding me.

So friends show up before they get busy. AJ Johnson aka FREAKY WIFE, is playing the wife (from House Party and Baby Boy fame,) and her husband being played by ANOTHER comedian, who SUCKS in this entire film. He is ANGRY BLACK MAN , so of course he baits Oblivious in to a debate about race relations. He got on MY damn nerves because the points he was trying to make were lost in translation, buried in his bravado and ignorance. This scene could have been a redeeming part of the film but it fell way way short of having substance.

So after Bitch Ass takes up for his wife, the the fellas go to another room in the house to talk, leaving Oblivious and Freaky Wife alone. Freaky Wife starts stroking on Oblivious, rubbing her back, all up in her face, and this Oblivious chick is well, totally oblivious to what she is doing until Freak wife tries to slip her the tongue. (You can not be this dumb, I know you are blonde, but damn, isn’t that a stereotype?)

The fellas are discussing ANGRY BLACK MAN’s recent business deal that went south and how he is hard up for cash. He knows that when FREAKY WIFE finds out that he lost their money, she will flip, and leave him. So BITCH ASS implies that he could get money if he smoked his wife for the insurance money (which he claims was just a joke).

Now what happens next is just a series of ridiculous events. In summary, the 4 of them end up in a hot tub where Freaky Wife and ANGRY BLACK MAN start messing around and she even goes underwater to give him a blow job (ok that part was educational). Oblivious is disgusted and hops out and Bitch Ass follows her to console her and explain that his friends are just wild like that (YRB).

Somehow Freaky Wife ends up floating face down in the hot tub, but this time, there is nothing in her mouth but water because her ass is dead.

The remaining 3 blame each other and the body count grows. By the end of the film BITCH ASS has no wife, no friend, and no lover. The film could have been written better, it could have given some insight into some heavy issues, but it went for perpetuating stereotypes and going for the twisted plot with no explanation as to why the characters did what they did. *shaking my head*.

This is why we can't rise as a people! (Said like X). Contributing to the worst stereotypes when you have a chance to have a voice that can be positive. This was directed by Sacha Parisot, which despite what the name may imply, is a male. Hmph! Shocking right?

I just think indie films have a chance to tell stories that need to be told and I get annoyed when I see one that had the potential to be so good, turn out SO bad.


E-mail this post



Remember me (?)



All personal information that you provide here will be governed by the Privacy Policy of Blogger.com. More...

4 comments

Add a comment