P***Y GALORE
Sex sells. That mantra has taken on a whole new meaning in our society today. I think the latest direction of sex sells has chartered into a territory where there are more and more women being depicted in a sexually suggestive, erotically charged, or extremely hypersexualized manner. It seems that lately, everywhere you turn there are advertisements that bombard you with sex. It could be a commercial about shampoo, a hamburger for a fast food joint, or even a print ad for clothes.
The Roots (love them) had this track on the Phrenology CD called P***Y GALORE
Life is about marketing (ain't that the TRUTH!)...so who is being marketed to? I remember seeing a paper towel commercial where the male actor was doing some sexually suggestive gestures, and it was clear that they were appealing to gay men and straight women. I suppose this is a case of penis galore?
It's interesting to see how advertising appeals to different demographics, and in doing so they often times disregard any concern for social, moral, or cultural acceptability. I wonder how powerful media/advertising's influence is on our society, especially young kids.
Is it necessary to associate sex with everything we do? I know sex can get people's attention faster. The natural assumption in advertisement/media dictates that if you want people to "remember your product" you must make it stand out. So we end up with sex being used to sell every.damn.thing. on the market.
Companies are so driven by revenue, that they simply aren't all that concerned about messages that are put out with their product. Most times they are trying to stay below the offensive, politically incorrect, moral radar. But the envelope is pushed from time to time, sometimes overreaching into pornographic or stereotypical depictions. When this happens, there may be some outcry by some people, or a few organizations but that usually dies down after awhile. Sometimes companies apologize, sometimes they don't. I think what they do a lot is just go back to the drawing board and figure out a way to be less noticeable. They pick a smaller thread to unravel in the fabric of society. They won't stop though, not entirely. They will tug and pull on a new thread and before you know it we flinch less when we see something that used to be offensive. We become less visceral in our reaction to women/children being used as sex objects, young girls being depicted as grown women. What happens when it's open season for sex in advertising? Some countries are way worse about using sex for advertising yet they don't appear to have social issues on the scale that we do in America. I wonder why these messages get internalized to the point that it manifests itself in our every day lives.
I know sex sells has been around before "our time" but is the new price we pay for it too high? Who will truly be paying for it? Are we feeding a virus that infects the collective mind of individuals who are already sexually deviant? I hear in the news about 80 year old women being raped, young girls are taken from their homes to be tortured, assaulted, and abused....there are some sick people in the world, I know....but sometimes I question if this is a by-product of P***Y GALORE.
The Roots (love them) had this track on the Phrenology CD called P***Y GALORE
To give your product that extra push
Niggas lookin for the time of their life, coppin a rush
You see, life's about marketing and P***Y Galore
Every time I turn around it's more P***Y Galore
Nations goin to war for the P***Y Galore
Either the cash, the raw or the P***Y Galore
Yo, gang wars more P***Y galore
From the streets to the record store
Every time I turn around it's more P***Y Galore
Either the cash, the raw or the P***Y Galore
Yo desire and lust can make a man kill
Or jump off a bridge cuffed to a muthafuckin anvil
So it's promoted like that's all yawl know
Keep a nigga under the spell you under control
But Yo I seem to make people slit they wrists
P***Y make a spots they secrets
But what for, cause sex is the law, law
And done been many an empire rise and fall
From the Squares to the Players to the Pimps and Whores
To big checks that never would have been endorsed
You know, I just sit back and just peep things
9 out of 10 it's the same song, only the beat changed
Life is about marketing (ain't that the TRUTH!)...so who is being marketed to? I remember seeing a paper towel commercial where the male actor was doing some sexually suggestive gestures, and it was clear that they were appealing to gay men and straight women. I suppose this is a case of penis galore?
It's interesting to see how advertising appeals to different demographics, and in doing so they often times disregard any concern for social, moral, or cultural acceptability. I wonder how powerful media/advertising's influence is on our society, especially young kids.
Is it necessary to associate sex with everything we do? I know sex can get people's attention faster. The natural assumption in advertisement/media dictates that if you want people to "remember your product" you must make it stand out. So we end up with sex being used to sell every.damn.thing. on the market.
Companies are so driven by revenue, that they simply aren't all that concerned about messages that are put out with their product. Most times they are trying to stay below the offensive, politically incorrect, moral radar. But the envelope is pushed from time to time, sometimes overreaching into pornographic or stereotypical depictions. When this happens, there may be some outcry by some people, or a few organizations but that usually dies down after awhile. Sometimes companies apologize, sometimes they don't. I think what they do a lot is just go back to the drawing board and figure out a way to be less noticeable. They pick a smaller thread to unravel in the fabric of society. They won't stop though, not entirely. They will tug and pull on a new thread and before you know it we flinch less when we see something that used to be offensive. We become less visceral in our reaction to women/children being used as sex objects, young girls being depicted as grown women. What happens when it's open season for sex in advertising? Some countries are way worse about using sex for advertising yet they don't appear to have social issues on the scale that we do in America. I wonder why these messages get internalized to the point that it manifests itself in our every day lives.
I know sex sells has been around before "our time" but is the new price we pay for it too high? Who will truly be paying for it? Are we feeding a virus that infects the collective mind of individuals who are already sexually deviant? I hear in the news about 80 year old women being raped, young girls are taken from their homes to be tortured, assaulted, and abused....there are some sick people in the world, I know....but sometimes I question if this is a by-product of P***Y GALORE.
Add a comment