Hitch This!
I mentioned that I had major beef with the movie Hitch. Mannmotion commented that he loved the film (you are still my homie) and he couldn’t imagine what it is I didn’t like.
Well imma tell you!
Disclaimer: I know it’s just a movie, intended for entertainment, just let me rant anyway!
Irk factor#1
One of Date Doctor's lines in the movie: Every man has the opportunity to sweep a woman off her feet; you just need the right broom.
Umm, NO the hell every man don’t! If that ain’t the most nauseatingly unrealistic bunch of bull that is rampant in romantic comedies. Come on! You mean to tell me, ANY man can bring his A game and the chick will fall head over heels? Really? Umm no.. I don’t care what kinda broom Dayquan or Ray Ray has, if he isn’t compatible to me, then his broom ain’t sweeping me nowhere. Point Blank. End of Discussion. There shouldn't even be an attempt to misrepresent yourself when you meet someone. I am all for putting your best foot forward, but I refuse to pretend to be interested in some mess that I don't even like JUST to land a mate. You can kiss my ass with THAT bull. People wonder why their mates "changed after marriage"...umm they ain't changed a thing! They are showing their true colors! Stop frontin to get someone's attention, the facade can ONLY last so long!
Irk Factor #2
The so-called Date Doctor’s first order of business was to change his client’s image. Why is it that a person has to undergo some kind of appearance makeover to land a mate that they feel is out of their league? Is ole boy going to forever get his back waxed? I am glad the message at the end of the film showed that the Doctor’s prescription was not what worked (that’s one redeeming factor for me).
Irk Factor #3
The Date Doctor dishing out dating advice and his ass was a playa! How you gonna school ME on obtaining a meaningful relationship when you don’t have one? That’s like going to a ophthalmologist to give me a pap smear! Uh no, you gonna need to show me how you are indeed the expert, especially if I will be paying you money!
Irk factor #4
I know Hollywood has to sell tickets and in order to do that in astronomic proportions, they want to appeal to a mass market. HOWEVER, casting Eva Mendes (who is a pretty good actress) with African American male actors repeatedly is getting OLD. Yea, I am thankful that a woman of color is being offered roles, but how many films will they keep matching her up with African American leads? What kind of message is that sending about black men wanting us? Again, I know this is entertainment, but these messages are internalized, and they stem from the same misconceptions in Hollywood that black love and our stories can only be told in one way.
Irk Factor #5
Why did the film go for the obvious jokes? White men can’t dance so they need to be hipped to what’s cool. Some white people dance their butts off, and its ok by me! Is there more clever ways of poking fun at our differences? I'm just saying!
Irk Factor #6
**edited**
Why is it assumed that a woman who is focused on her career and not all that concerned with her love life mean that she is hiding from love? Could it be, she is just HAPPY to be where she is in life, and she could actually ENJOY being single, for however long it will last? I mean damn, what is so great about the dating scene that you have to constantly be on the hunt. Some of the folks on the dating scene are just out for booty any way. I would rather fill my life with things I love like travel, friends, career, and IF a great man comes, then of course, I am open to it. I just won't be slitting my wrists if nobody arrives to escort me through the rest of my life. No I am not ducking love, no I am not hiding from men, I am LIVING, with or without men in my life. Sheesh!
Irk Factor #7
It fit the typical mold of romantic comedies: boy meets girl, boy has no confidence to approach girl, boy loses girl, boy gets girl back blah blah blah. Now I adore love jones, which for all intent purposes fits that same mold; however, there was so much more meat to the movie, with interesting subplots and other characters, and let's not forget the Great dialogue and realistic depictions of black love and relationships. Give me more films of this ilk and I would be one happy DIVA!
Well imma tell you!
Disclaimer: I know it’s just a movie, intended for entertainment, just let me rant anyway!
Irk factor#1
One of Date Doctor's lines in the movie: Every man has the opportunity to sweep a woman off her feet; you just need the right broom.
Umm, NO the hell every man don’t! If that ain’t the most nauseatingly unrealistic bunch of bull that is rampant in romantic comedies. Come on! You mean to tell me, ANY man can bring his A game and the chick will fall head over heels? Really? Umm no.. I don’t care what kinda broom Dayquan or Ray Ray has, if he isn’t compatible to me, then his broom ain’t sweeping me nowhere. Point Blank. End of Discussion. There shouldn't even be an attempt to misrepresent yourself when you meet someone. I am all for putting your best foot forward, but I refuse to pretend to be interested in some mess that I don't even like JUST to land a mate. You can kiss my ass with THAT bull. People wonder why their mates "changed after marriage"...umm they ain't changed a thing! They are showing their true colors! Stop frontin to get someone's attention, the facade can ONLY last so long!
Irk Factor #2
The so-called Date Doctor’s first order of business was to change his client’s image. Why is it that a person has to undergo some kind of appearance makeover to land a mate that they feel is out of their league? Is ole boy going to forever get his back waxed? I am glad the message at the end of the film showed that the Doctor’s prescription was not what worked (that’s one redeeming factor for me).
Irk Factor #3
The Date Doctor dishing out dating advice and his ass was a playa! How you gonna school ME on obtaining a meaningful relationship when you don’t have one? That’s like going to a ophthalmologist to give me a pap smear! Uh no, you gonna need to show me how you are indeed the expert, especially if I will be paying you money!
Irk factor #4
I know Hollywood has to sell tickets and in order to do that in astronomic proportions, they want to appeal to a mass market. HOWEVER, casting Eva Mendes (who is a pretty good actress) with African American male actors repeatedly is getting OLD. Yea, I am thankful that a woman of color is being offered roles, but how many films will they keep matching her up with African American leads? What kind of message is that sending about black men wanting us? Again, I know this is entertainment, but these messages are internalized, and they stem from the same misconceptions in Hollywood that black love and our stories can only be told in one way.
Irk Factor #5
Why did the film go for the obvious jokes? White men can’t dance so they need to be hipped to what’s cool. Some white people dance their butts off, and its ok by me! Is there more clever ways of poking fun at our differences? I'm just saying!
Irk Factor #6
**edited**
Why is it assumed that a woman who is focused on her career and not all that concerned with her love life mean that she is hiding from love? Could it be, she is just HAPPY to be where she is in life, and she could actually ENJOY being single, for however long it will last? I mean damn, what is so great about the dating scene that you have to constantly be on the hunt. Some of the folks on the dating scene are just out for booty any way. I would rather fill my life with things I love like travel, friends, career, and IF a great man comes, then of course, I am open to it. I just won't be slitting my wrists if nobody arrives to escort me through the rest of my life. No I am not ducking love, no I am not hiding from men, I am LIVING, with or without men in my life. Sheesh!
Irk Factor #7
It fit the typical mold of romantic comedies: boy meets girl, boy has no confidence to approach girl, boy loses girl, boy gets girl back blah blah blah. Now I adore love jones, which for all intent purposes fits that same mold; however, there was so much more meat to the movie, with interesting subplots and other characters, and let's not forget the Great dialogue and realistic depictions of black love and relationships. Give me more films of this ilk and I would be one happy DIVA!
Add a comment