web statistics

« Home | You Want My Number? Really? » | Diva Gets Dirty » | Make Room Myrtle! » | Behind The Velvet Rope » | Diary Of A Mad Blog Addicted Diva » | Two Women » | Ode To Maxwell » | Just Let It Go » | Diva Weekend » | Where Am I Going? » 

E-mail this post



Remember me (?)



All personal information that you provide here will be governed by the Privacy Policy of Blogger.com. More...

Thursday, April 28, 2005 

I'm Screwed....

(…not in the good way either.)
If I am not a Caucasian female who is pregnant or engaged to be married to a wealthy man and my ass comes up missing? I. Am. Screwed.

A missing local Georgia woman has received local AND NATIONAL coverage because she has not been seen since she left her home in her “safe” neighborhood to go jogging. She was due to marry "up" this weekend. I truly hope that this turns out to be a case of cold feet and that scarecrow looking chick turns up alive and well.

I know I should be used to it. I know it shouldn’t shock or awe my ass but the blatant way black lives are still clearly valued far less than our white counterparts still irks the shit out of me.

I can immediately recall numerous cases of black women who were reported missing and there were no helicopter searches, little or no media coverage, and God help the poor woman if she was a hooker or known drug user. I know we all got the email of the sista who was missing and her family was upset about how much help they received (or didn’t receive) when getting the word out.

Now its arguable why certain stories are picked up and some are not. I can hear people say the sensationalism of journalism wants the most “intriguing” angle to appeal to viewers. I call bullshit. If you are white, female, wealthy, attractive, etc. shit sure lines up a WHOLE lot nicer for your ass if you come up missing.

Living on my own again has made me realize that I need to be careful of my routine. I should take different routes home, arrive at varying times, and watch my surroundings because there is nobody at my crib that would be alert to the fact that my black ass didn’t make it. Who knows how long it would take before people even realize I ain’t blogging, working, or arriving to scheduled appointments. I love my new place, It takes me NINE minutes to get to work, I can jog in my neighborhood if the mood hits (clearly I would not do that at night), but God help me if my black ass comes up missing because I would be SCREWED!


« Home | You Want My Number? Really? » | Diva Gets Dirty » | Make Room Myrtle! » | Behind The Velvet Rope » | Diary Of A Mad Blog Addicted Diva » | Two Women » | Ode To Maxwell » | Just Let It Go » | Diva Weekend » | Where Am I Going? »

Thursday, April 28, 2005

I'm Screwed....

(…not in the good way either.)
If I am not a Caucasian female who is pregnant or engaged to be married to a wealthy man and my ass comes up missing? I. Am. Screwed.

A missing local Georgia woman has received local AND NATIONAL coverage because she has not been seen since she left her home in her “safe” neighborhood to go jogging. She was due to marry "up" this weekend. I truly hope that this turns out to be a case of cold feet and that scarecrow looking chick turns up alive and well.

I know I should be used to it. I know it shouldn’t shock or awe my ass but the blatant way black lives are still clearly valued far less than our white counterparts still irks the shit out of me.

I can immediately recall numerous cases of black women who were reported missing and there were no helicopter searches, little or no media coverage, and God help the poor woman if she was a hooker or known drug user. I know we all got the email of the sista who was missing and her family was upset about how much help they received (or didn’t receive) when getting the word out.

Now its arguable why certain stories are picked up and some are not. I can hear people say the sensationalism of journalism wants the most “intriguing” angle to appeal to viewers. I call bullshit. If you are white, female, wealthy, attractive, etc. shit sure lines up a WHOLE lot nicer for your ass if you come up missing.

Living on my own again has made me realize that I need to be careful of my routine. I should take different routes home, arrive at varying times, and watch my surroundings because there is nobody at my crib that would be alert to the fact that my black ass didn’t make it. Who knows how long it would take before people even realize I ain’t blogging, working, or arriving to scheduled appointments. I love my new place, It takes me NINE minutes to get to work, I can jog in my neighborhood if the mood hits (clearly I would not do that at night), but God help me if my black ass comes up missing because I would be SCREWED!


E-mail this post



Remember me (?)



All personal information that you provide here will be governed by the Privacy Policy of Blogger.com. More...

11 comments

Add a comment