web statistics

« Home | It Can Happen To You » | RK 2005? » | No Room In My Black Girl Bag » | ARGH! » | Half Gifts: Discontinued » | Wake Me Up When September Ends » | A Wise Woman Once Said » | Blog Diet » | Hip Hop: My Proverbial Abusive Husband » | UPSIDE OF ANGER » 

E-mail this post



Remember me (?)



All personal information that you provide here will be governed by the Privacy Policy of Blogger.com. More...

Monday, October 17, 2005 

Thank You Vivian



For knowing your place in 1963






For having the courage to face George Wallace

For making it possible for black girls like me to dream of shaping the world


I remember when I was a young girl learning about our family genealogy. I spent hours and hours trying to find any link to Vivian Malone-Jones in hopes that we were somehow blood related. Well I didn’t find any evidence of me on her family tree but I still feel connected to her.

I can’t imagine how she felt that day in September. She has said that she wasn’t afraid for her life because she had God with her. I think of what transpired after the cameras stopped rolling when she went throughout her days on campus.

Vivian used her voice as a means of upsetting the status quo in the segregated South forty years ago. When I think of the BS that I endure in 2005!! ... it amazes me. Other than my mother, Vivian is one of the women that I have admired since childhood. Her strength, intelligence, and ambition inspires me because she accomplished so much.

A few years ago I remember being upset when I read how her, along with many other relevant people, were being asked to speak only during the month of February. As if to imply that their relevance is isolated to African American History. I just feel that her story is more about the human experience and having courage to be a pioneer. Shattering myths, breaking through barriers, being the “first” is what I want to do too. She is a reminder that if you follow your life’s purpose..nothing or no one can stop you.



Thank you Vivian. Rest In Peace.

“Be the change you want to see in the world.”

~ Mahatma Gandhi


« Home | It Can Happen To You » | RK 2005? » | No Room In My Black Girl Bag » | ARGH! » | Half Gifts: Discontinued » | Wake Me Up When September Ends » | A Wise Woman Once Said » | Blog Diet » | Hip Hop: My Proverbial Abusive Husband » | UPSIDE OF ANGER »

Monday, October 17, 2005

Thank You Vivian



For knowing your place in 1963






For having the courage to face George Wallace

For making it possible for black girls like me to dream of shaping the world


I remember when I was a young girl learning about our family genealogy. I spent hours and hours trying to find any link to Vivian Malone-Jones in hopes that we were somehow blood related. Well I didn’t find any evidence of me on her family tree but I still feel connected to her.

I can’t imagine how she felt that day in September. She has said that she wasn’t afraid for her life because she had God with her. I think of what transpired after the cameras stopped rolling when she went throughout her days on campus.

Vivian used her voice as a means of upsetting the status quo in the segregated South forty years ago. When I think of the BS that I endure in 2005!! ... it amazes me. Other than my mother, Vivian is one of the women that I have admired since childhood. Her strength, intelligence, and ambition inspires me because she accomplished so much.

A few years ago I remember being upset when I read how her, along with many other relevant people, were being asked to speak only during the month of February. As if to imply that their relevance is isolated to African American History. I just feel that her story is more about the human experience and having courage to be a pioneer. Shattering myths, breaking through barriers, being the “first” is what I want to do too. She is a reminder that if you follow your life’s purpose..nothing or no one can stop you.



Thank you Vivian. Rest In Peace.

“Be the change you want to see in the world.”

~ Mahatma Gandhi


E-mail this post



Remember me (?)



All personal information that you provide here will be governed by the Privacy Policy of Blogger.com. More...

12 comments

Add a comment