Blog Diet
I am forcing myself to take a blog diet. Until my emotions un-intensify, and my anger becomes less militant, I must refrain from visiting blogs that are not on friendly territory.
I am never one to back down from debate; I welcome opposing views because it compels me to think deeper. This week though, there has been conservative, liberal, open-minded, close-minded, opinions that are sort of draining my already taxed psyche. I have learned a lot from reading and discussing issues that are being highlighted these past few days, but I am going to take a self-imposed blog break. This is well-timed because I will be replacing my blog reading with textbook reading.
It's interesting because after going to predominantly white schools from grade school through high school, I am rarely shocked by attitudes, opinions, or views of other races. Having a cross burned outside your dorm room sort of drives the point home: Ignorance exists everywhere. That doesn't stop me from being saddened though.
I am glad I was able to comment on one particular blog. It was not my intent to change anyone's position on any issue. I just wanted to offer a different perspective. Below is a comment that I posted on a blog entry that truly saddened me, and from the response I received, I can tell that my opinion was heard. The lady posted my comment to her blog entry in a new post: (my comment followed)
My comment on her entry (which was pasted into a new blog entry)
Sometimes I have a jazzy mouth, and I know I can be sarcastic when I want to, but I am learning to tone that down when I want my message to come across. I suppose that shows a bit of maturity and personal growth. I will still cuss a mofo out BUT...I think there comes a time when your bark should preempt your bite.
I am never one to back down from debate; I welcome opposing views because it compels me to think deeper. This week though, there has been conservative, liberal, open-minded, close-minded, opinions that are sort of draining my already taxed psyche. I have learned a lot from reading and discussing issues that are being highlighted these past few days, but I am going to take a self-imposed blog break. This is well-timed because I will be replacing my blog reading with textbook reading.
It's interesting because after going to predominantly white schools from grade school through high school, I am rarely shocked by attitudes, opinions, or views of other races. Having a cross burned outside your dorm room sort of drives the point home: Ignorance exists everywhere. That doesn't stop me from being saddened though.
I am glad I was able to comment on one particular blog. It was not my intent to change anyone's position on any issue. I just wanted to offer a different perspective. Below is a comment that I posted on a blog entry that truly saddened me, and from the response I received, I can tell that my opinion was heard. The lady posted my comment to her blog entry in a new post: (my comment followed)
I officially closed this subject. However, there is a very articulate well-written opinion that deserves to be read. The main thing that she says that ruffles my feathers is that I don't know what it is like to live with hate and that being black is worse than being white. I lived in an inter-racial relationship for 3 years. I was turned down for jobs because of it, I had black women treat me like crap because of it and I had white men do much the same. I do know the discrimination that black people feel. I do not however believe that the issues in New Orleans have anything to do with race.
Please read and think about what she says. It doesn't change my opinion of the Katrina ordeal. Again, I don't believe what happened there was racially motivated and I don't believe that the government (regardless of where you were born) has a responsibility to take care of you. I believe you are to take care of yourself.
Bullet Proof Diva said some interesting things though and did so without attacking for the most part. I appreciate that more than anything.
My comment on her entry (which was pasted into a new blog entry)
The pics on CNN made me sad, your post just makes me sadder. I don't expect apathetic people to see beyond socio-economic stats, census reports, and other dehuminizing numbers to see HUMAN beings for what they are, not refugees, not faceless, nameless individuals, HUMANS. This last week made me realize that apathy is a disease in our country.You are entitled to your opinion, of course, I just wonder if you truly realize how much privilige you are extended because you are white? Do you know how relatively easy it is for you to go through your day and NOT have hatred spewed at you? I don't make excuses for people who CHOOSE not to empower themselves when they DO have an opportunity to do so, nor do I JUDGE them for the choices they make, because I really have no idea what "they" have dealt with in their life: abuse, rape, alcoholism, mental illness (hugely undiagnosed), and a myriad of other things that stand in the way of poor people of ALL races. I just don't know and neither do you. Maybe you should think about that when you talk of people "expecting the government to take care of them". I think, that is exactly what they SHOULD expect, it is their birthright, it is all of ours, really, to be protected by the leaders of this country. You expect a fireman to show up at your property in case of fire, would you dare DEMAND that? Of course, and you SHOULD. What makes this any different? Because they are poor? Does poor mean lazy to you? I guess your broadstroking things just makes me SAD. I mean how can anyone in THIS country go to "a city that doesn't belong to them"? ....AND for reasons that are beyond their control? Do you even understand what you are saying?
Interesting discussion, the only thing I have left to say to you is, your perception is your reality, as is mine. I hope you never have to endure what the hurricane survivors have endured."
Sometimes I have a jazzy mouth, and I know I can be sarcastic when I want to, but I am learning to tone that down when I want my message to come across. I suppose that shows a bit of maturity and personal growth. I will still cuss a mofo out BUT...I think there comes a time when your bark should preempt your bite.
Add a comment